layout and design
Amanda A. Morgan
publication support for projects large and small
Welcome! If you’re looking for a versatile, no-nonsense publications professional who will respect your voice and your priorities, meet your deadlines, and rise to your project’s unique challenges, you’ve come to the right place.
Whether you need a writer, someone to help give shape and direction to an existing manuscript, a final polish before you go public, or an attractive, easy-to-read format for your finished work, I can help.
I have fifteen years of experience as a copyeditor, developmental editor, proofreader, and page designer. As a freelance writer, I’ve published in the Journal of Pacific History, National Fisherman, Technical Communication, St. Croix Avis, Salesian Missions Bulletin, and World Ark. I’m Adobe certified in InDesign and Photoshop.
I’ve worked …
- on books, academic and general-interest articles, technical reports, policy papers, proposals, health outreach materials, instruction manuals, simple websites, a school emergency plan, and a trade show daily.
- on documents related to animal husbandry, anthropology, archaeology, architecture, commercial fishing, sport fishing, current events, development aid, disaster response and preparedness, education, energy, environment, gender, geography, historic preservation, history, history of science, indigenous rights, law, nuclear disarmament, nutrition, political science, public health surveillance, shipping, social work, sociology, the Pacific Islands and island Southeast Asia, and the US Southwest and northern Mexico.
- for newspapers, journals, a monthly magazine, book publishers, research organizations, aid agencies, a government agency, small-business owners, and individual authors.
- with academic, technical, and policy specialists, journalists, people new to writing for publication, and writers for whom English is a foreign language.
- in Maine, New Mexico, Hawai‘i, California, Washington, DC, Louisiana, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and New Caledonia.
- Master’s degree in history, University of Hawai‘i
- Three semester-length editing courses, University of Hawai‘i and University of Wisconsin
- Adobe certified expert, InDesign CS6 and Photoshop CS5
- Introduction to Medical and Scientific Editing class, University of California, San Diego
- Digital Pre-Press Workshop, Maine College of Art
- Emergency response and Incident Command System training through the Federal Emergency Management Agency, Maine Emergency Management Agency, Maine Association for Search and Rescue, Community Emergency Response Team program, and Red Cross
- Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel
- Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Acrobat, and Illustrator
- E-book formatting, basic HTML and CSS
- Native English
- Fluent German
- Basic Spanish
If your project involves words, I can help make it shine. Whether you’re ready to go to work or would just like more information, let’s talk.